Climbing Diamond Head

And getting another box checked off on the Hawai'i Bucket List! Ever since we started coming to Hawai'i, climbing to the top of Diamond Head has been something both Will and I have wanted to do. The thing about it is that there is no shade, it's right out there in the hot sun, everywhere you turn, so it's essential (in my opinion) to go early in the morning. It opens at 6am, so it's reasonable to go in the morning, but finding a weekend morning when it seemed reasonable to get up that early wasn't so easy! In casual discussion after my mom arrived I mentioned that it was something we really wanted to do and that I hoped we would get to go someday soon. Mom, being the adventurous traveler that she is, said she'd go, too! So we put it on the list, and today was the day! We got up and were at Diamond Head by about 6:15am. The fact that we live only 5 minutes away from the start of the trail really makes it much easier to get there so early. We had great timing too, as there was a tour bus of people coming down while we were on our way up. The weather was quite pleasant the whole time and seeing the sunrise was spectacular. We were back down by 8am, and this was perfect timing also since it was starting to get pretty busy. So, we figure the perfect window to visit is 6:30 (after the tour bus group is done) until 8 or 8:15. What a breathtaking way to start the day. And now when I look out my living room window and gaze at Diamond Head, I know exactly what I'm looking at and it's an even more meaningful sight.

About to go on our hike!


Inside the crater.

Western edge of the crater with the valleys in the background.


The crater!

A LOT of steep steps. I couldn't look up or down, just right in front of me or I might have fallen backward!

Keeping watch from a pillbox.

Beach at the South end of Diamond Head. The lighthouse is to the left in this picture.


Diamond Head neighborhood, Waikiki, and beyond.

We made it to the top!

Honolulu


Somebody made a graffiti cat.

Our neighborhood is just past the crater.

Lookout at the very top.

We did it!
After we hiked we went to Koko Head cafe for some well deserved bloody marries and food that kept us full until dinner!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

A Tough Day

Happy Halloween!