Mountain Biking through the Redwoods

Will has been yearning to go Mountain biking since the day before we knew we were even moving to California - ha! When we got out here we knew we needed to upgrade my bike, so I got a brand spanking new one on sale at REI back in July. I'd used it several times just around the city, but it was time to go test it out on some trails!

We ventured off to Redwood Regional Park which is a whopping 15 minute drive from our apartment, right here in Oakland. We are so lucky to have such diversity in landscape just a short distance from us! When we got there we started off with a picnic lunch in the Redwood Bowl, which is a big opening in the middle of the park. It was an extremely foggy morning. It was 12:15 already and still this foggy! It made for a really cool atmosphere though, it felt like a rainforest inside.


Then we were off on our bike ride. It is about a nine mile loop around the park and we did the whole loop. The technicality level of trail is intermediate for biking, and I am definitely more at a beginner level. Will is more experienced than myself. Needless to say, there were many times I had to hop off my bike to walk up or down an incredibly steep hill!


Pretty Fall colors!



I am SO happy that there are Fall colors in Oakland!

We managed to stay pretty safe during our adventure, however, there was one spill. I was going down a hill pretty fast, started breaking, then saw a jogger running toward me, tried to move over to the right a little, and it just so happened to be a sandy section, so all these factors combined resulted in me totally flying off my bike. Luckily I only got a couple scrapes on my knee, but I definitely feel like a five year old who fell off my bike and skinned my knee!


The rest of the ride was uneventful, but filled with spectacular sights!





Comments

Popular posts from this blog

A Tough Day

Happy Halloween!