Final day of Indian Ocean adventure

*Guest post by Will*

Having seen all of Mauritius that I needed to see in order to accomplish my work goals, I took this day to explore the island on my own. I visited Casela, a wildlife park with a bit more animal accessibility than is allowed in our litigious homeland. At Casela I got the chance to view:
  • ·      local monkeys getting mischievous in their enclosure
  • ·      dozens of exotic bird species
  • ·      roaming peacocks
  • ·      giant tortoises (including one who couldn’t get unstuck from a corner)
  • ·      tigers
  • ·      lions
  • ·      ostrich
  • ·      and some farm-type animals such as goats and rabbits
Most notable: I got to go in an enclosure and pet adult and juvenile lions!


Following Casela, I took the opportunity and my rental car to explore Port Louis, the largest/capital city in/on Mauritius. I strolled for the most part, and happened upon several shops pedaling a local craft: miniature replicas of European ocean-going sailing ships. I also got a chance to grab dinner at an Indian restaurant; fare was delectable but disappointing as they were not able to produce a dish up to what I would call “Indian spicy”, even though they promised an uncomfortable level of heat/spice; Oh well, search continues.

How many different species of birds can you spot?

At least 4' from beak to tail, each

Inside the enclosure of a Mauritian Kestrel: a pongamia tree!!

Fancy birds outside the enclosures as well

Glad they have their priorities straight

This chicken was super surly

Fairly certain this toroise did not understand reverse

This is what Ava sees in the mirror when she's dreaming...

There were butterflies distracting this guy

Even when they're big, they enjoy a good scruffing

Handler told me this fellow was >180 years old

These Mauritian bus driver's sure know how to lure riders!

And here I thought I was in Mauritius!

Oh wait, I was in Mauritius. Beautiful, eh?

View from other end of harbor


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Happy Halloween!

Will Pitches Hawaii

A Day in Napa Valley