Back To Brizzy

*Guest post from Will*

After spending NYE in Sydney, Erin had to leave to go back to HNL for work as the students certainly weren't going to teach themselves. I stayed in Australia for additional work, the ultimate goal of which was to collect seeds from each of a series of trees from which TerViva propagates its proprietary pongamia orchards.

From Sydney, I flew to Brisbane in Queensland. From the 2nd through the 5th, I visited pongamia trees throughout the greater Brisbane area. At each tree, an assessment was made to determine the phenological maturity of the tree, and the maturity-level of the pods and/or flowers that were present on the tree. Then, if there were mature pods available, I would collect up to ~500 to take back to my hotel, where I would dry them out in the sun. In total, I collected pods from 20 trees in the region.


I had budgeted Jan 2 – 9 for this work, but due to the fact that most of the trees I was visiting did not have many mature pods on them, I finished my work in the Brisbane area a couple days early, and even had time to see Star Wars Rogue One, and have a look at some of the “old” buildings in Brizzy.

Pongamia tree primed for harvest 

The trusty harvesting hook I fashioned from materials I bought at Bunnings, the Aussie Home Depot. Used this to shake branches until the pongamia pods flew off
Pongamia pods on balcony drying out before shelling
After Pods dried out on balcony, they were ported to the processing center, pictured above, where personnel dedicated many hours to ensure pods were promptly shelled to obtain seeds

Following processing, personnel were permitted a brief recess to observe regional architecture before resuming labor
F




Australians are substantially more relaxed than we are in America




Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Happy Halloween!

Will Pitches Hawaii

A Day in Napa Valley