Bondi to Coogee

Originally the 6 km coastal walk from Bondi Beach to Coogee Beach wasn't on our list of things to do, but after doing some research it quickly went on the must do list. I'm so grateful that we had four and a half days in the city because I feel like we really got to explore so many pieces of a truly rich, diverse city.

We took an uber ride down to Bondi Beach. Turns out public transportation is not so easy to figure out and it seemed like it was going to cost us $40 to get to the beach and back, or we could take two $20 uber rides which would take less time and be more convenient. Uber in Sydney was the best ride service I've ever had. We attribute that to the friendliness of the Aussies in general, but the drivers were professional, gave us options for routes, and talked story with us too, all in the comfort of very nice cars! But I digress . . .

We arrived in Bondi, and of course, it's still morning so we started with mimosas.

Then we hit the beach. I really liked the vibe here. The water was calmer than at Manly (but just as cold!). It was also more of a family, relaxed vibe, rather than the teeny bopper, go to be seen vibe of Manly.

So we set our stuff down and walked to take a dip when all of the sudden I felt something sharp in my foot. I thought maybe I stepped on one of those prickly hitchhiker seeds, but when I lifted my foot up it was a bee! I stepped on a bee! And of course, it stung me! I felt so bad that I killed the bee (what is a bee doing at the beach though, anyway?) but then I felt bad because the bottom of my foot got stung! I hobbled back to our belongs and laid down on a towel. Will got to work on the removal of the stinger, which is not an easy task while at the beach! Thank goodness he takes his Leatherman everywhere because part of it is a pliers, so he used that to get out most of the stinger. Then he went to the lifeguard stand in hopes of a tweezers, but all they had was a little pricker thing. So he used that to dig out the rest. Thank goodness the stinger went in on the tough, edge part of my foot so I didn't feel it too much. I was so worried that this would ruin our day for a 6km walk! Luckily I'm not allergic and once the stinger was all the way out and after a little bit of rest, I was feeling just fine. So carefully I walked along the beach into the water, and had a little "swim" if that's what you call it! Brr!


The day was a little overcast, which was a relief from the hot sun that could have been. We got sprinkled on a little bit, but nothing that got in the way of our fun. Along Bondi Beach is an establishment called Bondi Icebergs. This place has a fine dining level and a more casual, seat yourself area on the top level. Down below they have built up ocean water lap pools. One can be a member or buy a day pass to the pool. Luckily everyone can go to the restaurant. It's famed for its fish and chips (popular around Australia due to the British influence) so we had to try some! We shared one order otherwise it would have just been too much before our long, hot walk.


After lunch we were off on our 6 km walk. Here's a map of the walk. (Icebergs is right around that number 6 on the map.)


The walk was just beautiful with breathtaking sights everywhere.







Tamarama Beach (number 7 on the map)


The Bronte Baths. We walked along the edge but the water didn't look very clean . . . (number 9 on the map)




Behind Will is the Waverley Cemetery. These people have the best view in Sydney, haha! (number 10 on the map)

These water bottle fill-up stations are all over the beach communities. It's awesome!


Gordon's Bay (number 11)




Coogee! We made it!
Did you hear about the epic Christmas Day party at a beach in Sydney? Well Coogee beach is where it happened! From what we heard it was definitely a crazy day, but people had a lot of fun!

After making it all that way, especially after a bee sting to the foot, we rewarded ourselves with drinks at Coogee Pavilion. Another must-see rooftop from my list. It didn't disappoint!



We poked around a few of the shops in Coogee but we were tired, so we caught our uber back home. We cleaned up and walked to a street of really cute restaurants near our hotel that we had walked past last night on the way to The Local. We settled on, can you guess? Pizza and prawns! When in Australia! After such a long day we were starved and it was an amazing dinner! We both slept well after these two long days out in the sun! (With lots of sunscreen, of course!)

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Happy Halloween!

Will Pitches Hawaii

A Day in Napa Valley